50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
STEPHEN TROWEN NAGBE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15, 2017
REV. DR. JULIUS SARWOLO NELSON, JR.
SENIOR PASTOR, REFUGE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Let us pray –
There are many tears and sorrows,
There are questions for tomorrow,
There were times I did not know right from wrong;
But in every situation, God gives blessed consolation
That my trials only come to make me strong…
So I thank God for the mountains
And I thank for the valleys
And I thank God for the storms he brought me through.
If I never had a problem,
I never know my God could solve them
I never know what faith in God could do…
THROUGH IT ALL,
THROUGH IT ALL,
I’VE LEARNED TO TRUST IN JESUS
I’VE LEARNED TO TRUST IN GOD.
THROUGH IT ALL,
THROUGH IT ALL
I’VE LEARNED TO DEPEND UPON HIS WORD.
- IN THE MORNING, YOU ARE GOD.
- IN THE AFTERNOON, YOU ARE GOD.
- IN THE EVENING, WHEN WE FORGET ABOUT YOU, EVEN AT THE TIME, YOU ARE GOD JUST BY YOURSELF. SPEAK TO ME IN SPITE OF ME AND LET THE WORDS OF MY MOUTH AND THE MEDITATIONS OF OUR HEARTS, BE ACCEPTABLE IN YOUR SIGHT; O, LORD, OUR ROCK, REFUGE, REDEEMER AND RISEN SAVIOR. AMEN.
“To have faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see; It was by their faith that people of ancient times won God’s approval. It is by faith that we understand that the universe was created by God’s words, so that what can be seen was made out of what cannot be seen. It was faith that made Abel offer to God a better sacrifice than Cain’s. Through his faith, he won God’s approval as a righteous man; because God himself approved of his gifts. By means of his faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead…”
‘No one can please God without faith, for whosoever comes to God must have faith that God exists and rewards those who seek him…’ Amen.
“ANCHOR YOUR FAITH IN GOD…”
The word “ANCHOR” comes from the Greek word ‘ANKURA’. As a Noun, it is a heavy metal or object used to “MOOR OR MAKE FAST” OR SECURE IN A WAY a ship at the bottom of the sea. As a Verb, it is something fix firmly in a position.
The word “FAITH” comes from the original Latin word ‘FIDES’. It is COMPLETE TRUST OR ASSURANCE, CONFIDENCE. It is a strong belief in a religion. In the Greek New Testament, there are three main words about FAITH AND BELIEVING:
- PISTIS – A NOUN
- PISTEUO – A VERB
- PISTOS – AN ADJECTIVE
- As a noun, FAITH (according to Hebrews 11:1) is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen. Faith is the confidence that someone or something is RELIABLE. Our whole life is based on faith and believing. Our journey is filled with trusting banks, post offices, cars, homes, beds, hospitals, clinics, supermarket, etc.
- As a verb, it is to believe. Salvation is free and it is believing in Christ Jesus by Grace and not by works. We must believe that God says according to the writers of the scripture/word. But this believing is also challenging each of us to decide either for or against Jesus Christ and his offer of Salvation.
- As an adjective, the emphasis is on being FAITHFUL. To be RELIABLE, TRUSTWORTHY. The importance of having FAITH to believe cannot be overstated. Hebrews 11:6 says; “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarded of them that diligently seek Him…’ THEREFORE, PLEASE ANCHOR YOUR FAITH IN GOD IN THE DAYS TO COME
The Book of Hebrews, chapter eleven verses four to forty (Hebrews 11:4-40) gives us a litany of those whose faith were anchored in God, THE ARCHITECT, BUILDER, CREATOR, PROVIDER, SUSTAINER, RESCUER, LIBERATOR, REDEEMER, SAVIOR AND COMFORTER. You can do the same today by anchoring your FAITH IN GOD who is always able and faithful. Hebrews 11:4-40 informs us about fathers and mothers; brothers and sisters and children who anchored their FAITH IN ALMIGHTY GOD: Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Hagar, Isaac Jacob, Esau, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, David, Solomon, Samuel, Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah Nehemiah, Shadrack, Meshack and Abinedigo, Ruth, Naomi, Esther, etc.
Over the past fifty (50) years, there has been committed, dedicated, reliable, hardworking, innovative, loving, benevolent, gifted, prayer warriors in the Sinkor Parish or Stephen Trowen Nagbe United Methodist Church that we can add to our own listing:
- Bishop Stephen Trowen Nagbe, Sr.
- Anthony Fadely
- Karis Fadely
- Oliver Clarke
- Jacob Nimenju Kartwe, Sr.
- Samuel T. Richards
- Albert Quainoo
- Augustus Monu
- James Lincoln
- David Tweh Toe
- Isaac N. V. Harmon
- William Brown
- Mother Evelyn Mitchell
- Father Joseph Boayue
- Father Thomas Marshall
- Mother Jershua Marshall
- Mother Maria L. M. Morgan
- Mother Nancy Nah
- Mother Mary N. Bedell
- Mother Agatha Topor
- Professor Victor Lawson
- Father Frank Teah
- Father Robert Draper
- Father James Lincoln
- Father Stephen Wreh
- Father James Cooper
- Brother “Bo” Wreh
- Brother Arthur Saywala
- Sister Alice Kpainsaye
- Brother J. Wortee Nelson
- Brother Coco Jebeh
- Sister Zereda Tanda
- Mother Harriet Mayson
- Mother Cymbeline D. Bass
- AMONG MANY OTHERS WE CAN NOT NAME…
My brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers, children, there are difficult days ahead. All the “what if’s”, uncertainty, discouragement, etc will increase. But I stop by to encourage and challenge you to ANCHOR YOUR FAITH IN GOD”- OUR CREATOR, DAVIOR AND COMFORTER. FOR THE NEXT FIFTY (50) YEARS GOD WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE A WAY WHERE THERE SEEM TO BE NO WAY…
There are choruses and songs of Zion that we can remember from our journey of the last fifty years. Please join me as we sing a few of them:
Count your blessings, name them one by one;
Count your many blessings; see what God has done;
Count your blessings, name them one by one
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.
I am so grateful, so mighty grateful
There Lord has spare me another day;
I am so grateful, so mighty grateful.
He has always made a way;
HE’S BEEN MY JOY, MY JOY IN SORROW
HE’S BEEN MY HOPE, MY HOPE FOR TOMORROW
HE’S BEEN MY SHELTER, IN THE TIME OF STORM
HE’S BEEN MY STRENGTH, WHEN I AM WEAK AND LOW
THAT’S WHY I AM GRATEFUL, SO MIGHTY GRATEFUL.
I will worship my God
I will sing Alleluia;
Me, I will worship my God,
My God do well for me…
Rejoice for the steps of a righteous man
They are ordered by God (2X)
In the time of trouble,
God will uphold you,
God will protect you,
God will sustain you
In the time of trouble
God will lift you up.
SO REJOICE, YOUR STEPS ARE ORDERED BY GOD.
It is in these times as we journey to the next fifty years that each of us will need a SAVIOR, BIBLE, ROCK, FRIEND, and AN ANCHOR. LET YOUR ANCHOR HOLD AND GRIP THE SOLID ROCK. THIS ROCK IS JESUS, THE ONLY ONE. BE VERY SURE. I AM VERY SURE. LET YOUR ANCHOR OF FAITH BE IN GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, MERCIFUL AND PRESERVER OF OUR FAITH ESPECIALLY OUR SPIRITUAL JOURNEY IN THE WHOLE INHABITED EARTH. TO GOD BE THE GLORY.
- IN THE NAME OF GOD THE CREATOR,
- IN THE NAME OF GOD THE SAVIOR AND
- IN THE NAME OF GOD THE COMFORTER, AMEN.