Nancy Carew opened the second day of the Liberia Partner Summit with a devotion on Second Corinthians 4:8.
The missionary reminded the gathered partners that our hope is spiritual in Jesus who promises to help us with unmerited grace. Jesus has promised to never leave us and always comfort us even when our hope is lost. “Even in the midst of this Ebola crisis, the people of Sierra Leone, the people of Liberia are not alone.” We can always know that our God is a loving God and a God of all possibilities.
Ellen Knudsen, Advance director and Winsome Wright, Advance Gift Administrator began the morning session with information on the work and ministry of the Advance.
Stressing that “The Advance is a relationship building tool” Director Knudsen shared a map of Advance projects in Liberia.
Asking the participants why or why not they or their churches would give to The Advance, answers were: “Poorly advertised,” “Money will be diverted,” “Outdated language,” “Money might not arrive in a timely manner.” In the positive nature: ” United giving,” No administrative fees,” “The power of the Connection.”
Advance and UMCOR are not in competition with each other. “We are very much in partnership,” replied Director Knudsen in response to a question about the nature of the relationship between the two organizations.
Director Knudsen encouraged the participants to apply to The Advance for their projects to be a part of the larger work of the UMC.
Advance Gift Administrator Winsome Wright presented the giving levels of individual Annual Conferences and Jurisdictions to The Advance.
Additional subjects to be covered on the second day of the Liberia Partner Summit are:
- GBGM/UMCOR and Partner Accountability, presented by Rev. Jack Amick: Assistant General Secretary for UMCOR International Disaster Reponse.
- Round table discussion with GBGM guests
- Ministry Priorities in the Liberia Annual Conference
- Round table discussion with Missionaries
- Summit Wrap Up: Where are Key Areas for Partners to focus?
- Celebration Banquet and Closing Worship, Preaching, BIshop Deborah Lieder Kiesey, Resident Bishop of Michigan Area. Worship Leader: Rev. Dr. Charles Boayue, pastor of Second Grace UMC in Detroit.